This blog is now obsolete. Go to scott.arbeitman.id.au for all new content.

Something good happenned to Mozy

| Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The earlier adopter that I am, I signed up for the Mozy online backup service a couple of months ago. The service was -- and I believe still is -- in public beta, at least for Mac clients. For those who never heard of it, Mozy offers unlimited online storage for only $4.95 USD per month.

In the beginning, Mozy really pissed me off. It didn't reliably backup. I get errors like


Error: ((Null) (Null)))

But yesterday, after attempting a backup, my Mac did something it never does: it froze. I was ready to move Mozy into the trash.

But, after restarting, something amazing happened. Mozy is running perfectly. I now have 3 different restore options (desktop client, online client, or DVD mailing). Growl is now supported. I get visual confirmation that an upload is in progress. It's faster. It shows real upload progress (although still a bit inaccurate with the time remaining). I'm a happy customer.

For those who don't perform regular backups, you should. And I suggest giving Mozy a try.

0 comments: