This blog is now obsolete. Go to scott.arbeitman.id.au for all new content.

Gap Shopping: Separate sites, one cart

| Monday, August 4, 2008

image I don't know if it's a new change, but I just visited the Gap web site and was immediately notified that I could now shop from the Gap site as well as other brands under the Gap umbrella (Banana Republic, Old Navy and Piperlime). Gap would combine the shipping costs for all purchases across the sites and ship them to me (assuming I was in the States) for $7. Not a bad deal.

Aside from the shopping potential, this strikes me a way to create synergies across brands while not removing the differentiation between them; for all intents and purposes, the branding of each site is quite distinct, yet every page on every site is tied together with a familiar "tabbing" system, not mention the same shopping cart and simple checkout.

I can't help but think -- ahem -- that if an organization wanted to separate two distinct arms of their business -- for example, award business degrees and executive education programs -- that a unified tab system but distinct branding below is probably a good way to go.

0 comments: