This blog is now obsolete. Go to scott.arbeitman.id.au for all new content.

A New Era

| Wednesday, November 5, 2008
I just finished watching Obama's acceptance speech. I spent much of the day examining in detail the electoral map. Today's the day the I reconnected with CNN.com. Do you know the last day I spent clinging to CNN and other news sites?

September 11th.

With that thought, I realised that we have well and truly passed from one era to another. The previous one, the one when I came of age, was a cynical time. I was apathetic. It wasn't long ago that I was struggling to find excitement in my life. I think it was typical of my generation and our supposed apathy. Little did I know the effect our leaders can have on our individual self-esteem.

It was today that I learned as much about myself as I did about America. I had cast America aside. I lost faith in its ideals and in its people. In the same way, I think I lost faith in myself. I didn't believe in the value of hard work, or the many benefits a true and equal society can bring to humanity. It seemed like those who manipulated the truth were destined to get ahead.

Tonight, I really believe I'm a changed man and that America is a profoundly changed nation. I'm so proud of the message that our electorate send. That finally, we will punish those in government that will betray our trust. That today truly marks the end of our civil war. The end of a nation of used car salesmen. The end of the attacks on 9/11. Demonstration that we can be a progressive, inspirational society. We can demonstrate moral leadership. We can be a light unto the other nations. We can innovate. We can better the lives of everyone.

For the first time in a very long time, I'm proud to be an American.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never can tell when you are being sarcastic...?

Shoaib M Shaukat said...

Yes Scott,

A lot of people in US as well as around the world are closely watching events unfolding in US politics. Many hope that the new leadership will bring some change and will sicerely provide true global leadership, inluding climate change, re-prioritising war on terror etc.
We all can hope that the new president will make this entire world a better place to live where everyone can live in peace.